Sunday, May 17, 2009

Donsol's Whale Shark (Buntanding)

Whale Shark Capital of the World

I very first heard & read about Whale Shark (Bundating) sometime in 1998 in Philippine Daily Inquirer. I was very fascinated with the story even then and dreamt of someday, I will be able to interact with this God's gift to Donsol. Before 1997, the World's popular Whale Shark Tour was in Nigaloo Reef, West of Australia, where the hopefuls enlisted the aid of a light spotter plane. Aside from being rather sky-rocketing price- $400-$500 or P20,000-P25,000 per person, whale shark interaction was not guaranteed.

It took me about 11 years to fulfill this dream. It was first week of March 2009 then, when I decided to brave and travel this once sleepy town- the Donsol. Little did the world know that for years, fishermen is Donsol were shooing away dozens of friendly, lumbering sharks bumping into their nets. And since 1998, the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF)- a global conseravation group has played a crucial role in establishing a community-based ecotourism by facilitating fund-sourcing and stakeholder mobilization for the conservation of the species- now deemed by the DOT as the flagship of ecotourism destination and one of the best attractions in Bicol Region.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Landing on the Province of Bicol will give you the first treat- the Panoramic view of Mayon Volcano. But that was another story I've told. Traveling more than 2-hour drive was worth-waiting.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Local flora surrounding the town will give you the relief and additional entertainment as you wait for the next day for the interaction. (Unless otherwise, you arrived as early as 7:00am, you can immediately have your Butanding Tour).

From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Dash of gold through the horizon has another factor for you to have the thoughts that this place is really blessed. As the night gets deeper, another treat awaits you.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Fireflies are very abundant in Ogod and Donsol Rivers. (I felt so sorry because any camera couldn't capture their great assembly in every mangrove that surrounds the rivers). The magic happens only a night, of course. Where the enchantment begins after the sun sets and the beauty is revealed when the darkness descends. This is the nightlife in Donsol, where the place is so quiet and all you can hear is the nature. The enchanted beauty of these thousands of nocturnal insects inhabit the two rivers and provide the glow around the mangrove trees- like Christmas lights that these flicker of lights takes the shape of the tree.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
The following morning, after attending a brief but important orientation, we sailed an accredited motor boat with Whale Shark spotter and guide. Here, before plunging on the water, the guide will give you the last minute reminders about the Butanding's behavior.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Here it was, the excitement begun! You cannot control yourself and be excited- this caused me to drank sea water as I've face this gentle giant.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
This was the first glimpse I have! My head swelled and felt like it burst when it I saw this creature. I want to wake up, thinking that I was only in a big dream. But no, it was a reality, so I have to conquer my fear and play with this long-time subject from my must-see list.
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
The second Butanding I encountered was as big as a mini-bus. Seemed like I was in a big movie house's screen while this gentle giant passed through where I was. The urge of my fascination has triggered me to play along with the sea creature. I clearly observed that Butanding are mindless of those who wanted to see them up-close. Their eyes are too small, big wide mouth and large fins!
From Donsol Sorsogon- Home of the Gentle Giants
Foreigners are having fun scoring an underwater videos. Who wouldn't resist? After all, it is considered as the Best Animal encounter in Asia according to
From TIME

No comments:

Post a Comment